The historic Drum Barracks is the only Civil War-era U.S. Army building still standing in Southern California. The 16-room structure once stood among 19 similar buildings on 60 acres of land, General Phineas Banning and B.D. Wilson donated to the U.S. Army.
The Drum Barracks (named after Adjutant-General Richard C. Drum, commander of the post) served as the main training, staging and supply depot for military operations in Arizona and Southern California and New Mexico. The museum features many items from this era, including an operable Gatling Gun. The museum, located in the original junior officers’ quarters, displays historical artifacts and is operated by the city of Los Angeles. For information phone: 310-548-7509
Drum Barracks Civil War Museum
1052 North Banning Blvd
Wilmington, CA 90744